1. Chiropractic. Chiropractic adjustments improve mechanoreceptor afferentation which inhibit pain circuits. Corrective and wellness chiropractic care improves asymmetries of posture and motion, and increases mechanoreception while living and functioning in a gravity environment. Don't stop chiropractic care too early, and don't stop when you feel better. Ongoing Wellness Chiropractic care offers you the best benefits.
2. Balance Omega-6/Omega-3 fat ratio. Goal ratio is 1.5-4:1. Too much Omega-6 and too little Omega-3 increases inflammation and lowers the threshold of the pain system. The billions Americans spend on pain drugs is primarily to counter the effects of too much omega-6 and too low omega-3 in the diet.
3. Reduce Pro-inflammatory cytokines: A. Improve omega-6 to omega-3 balance. Consider an omega-6 : omega-3 fat test; we do finger prick tests in the office. B. Resveratrol (100mg/day) and Curcumin (200mg/day)
4. Vitamin D, 50-70ng/ml. As many as 60% of people with chronic pain have levels below this. Get your vitamin D level tested; ask your PCP to run vt D on bloodwork; we do finger prick tests in the office.
5. Reduce/eliminate dietary excitotoxins (glutamate, aspartate [half of aspartame]). Excitotoxins are known to increase pain sensitization, and elimination has shown to reduce/remove chronic pain. Foods that contain excitotoxins (glutamate, aspartame): diet soda, sugar-free iced tea; sugar-free anything is suspect. Find hidden excitotoxins here: TruthInLabeling.org.
6. Malic Acid. Sodium pumps keep pain nerve endings from being active. Sodium pumps run on ATP energy. A proven disruption of ATP and chronic pain is low levels of malic acid in the krebs cycle. Supplementation with malic acid (2400mg/day) and magnesium (600+mg/day) have shown to help many. We have these products in our office.
7. Manage insulin resistance (from high blood sugar): A. Insulin resistance lowers ATP (see #6 above) B. Insulin upregulates delta-5-desaturase (D5D) enzyme, accelerating the conversion of Linoleic Acid (LA-corn, soy, etc.) into arachadonic acid (AA), cascades towards pro-inflammatory eicosanoids. C. Eat the cleanest diet you can enjoy, high in vegetables and low in processed foods. Consider going gluten-free and dairy-free. Eat as many vegetables as you can at every meal. More information on our website, youtube page, and in the office.
8. Strategies to increase ATP: A. Ongoing Wellness Chiropractic care B. Low Level Laser Therapy-we have one in the office C. Daily exercise to your tolerance and ability. You only have to exercise on the days you eat. D. Breathing exercises E. Anti-oxidant supplements (many in our office) F. Mitochondrial support (acetyl-l-carnitine, alpha-lipoic acid) G. Detoxification-undenatured whey protein, N-acetyl cysteine (NAC), far infrared sauna H. Drink only water, Reduce stress, stop smoking
DrScottFuller.com Fuller Chiropractic 576 Main St. Woburn, MA 01801 781-933-3332
***Special thanks to Dr. Dan Murphy, DC for this information. 12-18
Fuller Chiropractic 827 Main St., Woburn, MA 01801 781-933-3332